Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Beast

www.trifectawritingchallenge.com








This week's word is cheap.

cheap adj \ˈchēp\

1   a : purchasable below the going price or the real value
     b : charging or obtainable at a low price <a good cheaphotel> <cheap tickets>
     c : depreciated in value (as by currency inflation) <cheapdollars>

2   : gained or done with little effort <a cheap victory> <talk ischeap>
     b : contemptible because of lack of any fine, lofty, or redeeming qualities <feeling cheap>


The Beast

Bitter disappointment --
Is a deflated understatement.

Like an anchor, her aching heart fell,
While toward her throat her stomach expelled.

Each time she stood up, winded and scarred,
The Beast knocked her right back down, hard.

"Don't worry, honey, it'll happen one day;
Just relax; give it more time," they would all say.

But in hopelessness she is used to wallow,
For time is cheap when dreams are hollow.



8 comments:

  1. You captured that sadness. I understand this feeling completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your understanding, and for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I love that last line - just perfect!

    I'm glad you changed your mind and decided not to sit this one out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janna! I just couldn't help myself. Once the prompt comes out, my mind just starts churning... Although it took a little longer this time. =)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for linking up to Trifecta this weekend. This is a nice little piece. My kids are currently obsessed with Beauty and the Beast, so The Beast gave me pause as I imagined the big, furry creature lapping from a bowl at the table. But the metaphor is a solid one. Hope to see you back again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poetic description evoked a life of pysical abuse and a woman who has no idea she's not the crazy one in the relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jester Queen, The Beast was a specific obstacle in my mind (infertility), but I decided to leave it open so that it could be anything a woman must overcome. I was really glad to see a different interpretation like yours. I wanted the reader to see The Beast as s/he saw it. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete