Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sky-Gazing


 http://www.trifectawritingchallenge.com/








This week's Trifecta one word prompt: trail.  Check out the third definition of trail (below), and respond, using the word exactly as it appears, in no less than 33 and no more than 333 words.

trail verb \ˈtrāl\

1     a:  to hang down so as to drag along or sweep the ground
       b:  to extend over a surface in a loose or straggling manner <a vine that trails over the ground>
       c:  to grow to such length as to droop over toward the ground

2     a:  to walk or proceed draggingly, heavily, or wearily : plod, trudge
       b:  to lag behind : do poorly in relation to others

3:     to move, flow, or extend slowly in thin streams <smoke trailing from chimneys>


Sky-Gazing

"Is that there a shooting star?"
Ask my boy of a line afar.
In the dimming late afternoon sky,
Over the horizon a streak I spy.

"No, I think it's an aeroplane!"
And my girl begins to explain.
"The dot in the front leads the line,
And the tufts of smoke trail behind."

"Oh," he says, quite content,
And studies the line on its descent.
She smiles, and looks at me,
And in her eyes delight I see.

I look at them in quiet amazement
My heart imprints this endearing moment.
For I hope that they will always find
Teaching and learning from each other, kind.


12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this very much. It has a nice rhythm to it. You did a great job of capturing the easy conversation between the children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! And children I have, which helps. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. So lovely. I quite enjoy the way my older girls bring along my son with the lessons I taught them (and many I didn't). It sometimes puts my "no youngest child" plan in disarray, but it is beautiful. This is, as Rachel says, such a lovely easy conversation between the two. (And her catching your eye is fantastic too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. There's that saying, "if you taught the first one right, the rest just follow." Although I wouldn't live by that, it does sound comforting, doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. Poetic conversation ... it is so nicely written.
    Regards,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Ruby! I had to tweak this several times before I was happy with it. I'm so glad you like it.

      Delete
  4. "My heart imprints this endearing moment."

    I love that line. It's like a fingerprint from the heart. What a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Mrs. One Day! I love it when my kids inspire me =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for linking up to Trifecta this week. I really enjoyed the rhythm of this piece along with the special moment shared between siblings. Kids are often the inspiration for writing--from lots of different angles. I liked this one. Hope to see you back again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's very interesting to read everyone's takes on the prompts. I'm learning a lot from all the great writers of this group!

      Delete
  7. This captured such a sweet moment. I love the poetry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Imelda! You are very kind.

      Delete