Thursday, April 5, 2012

Earth Days

www.trifectawritingchallenge.com








This week's word is:
brain (noun)

1
a : the portion of the vertebrate central nervous system enclosed in the skull and continuous with the spinal cord through the foramen magnum that is composed of neurons and supporting and nutritive structures (as glia) and that integrates sensory information from inside and outside the body in controlling autonomic function (as heartbeat and respiration), in coordinating and directing correlated motor responses, and in the process of learning — compare
2
(1) : intellect, mind <has a clever brain> (2) : intellectual endowment : intelligence —often used in plural <plenty ofbrains in that family>(1) : a very intelligent or intellectual person (2) : the chief planner within a group —usually used in plural <she's thebrains behind their success>
3

Earth Days

There are few things in life
That we can we really count on.
But our Earth promises us
Some things we depend upon.

The hours in a day,
And the weeks in a year;
They will never change,
We never have to fear.

Days turn into nights,
And nights back to days,
As Earth faithfully rotates
About its axis, always.

And the seasons of a year --
Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter --
One comes after the previous,
No matter where we shelter.

And so Earth's Brain
On auto-pilot will continue
To give us a steady rhythm
That our lives undeniably value.

It is, thus, natural for us
To embrace Earth's Heart,
And show our gratitude
To the planet we take part.

Once a year we are reminded
To be kind and gentle to Earth.
But all year long should we strive
To celebrate its dignified worth.

For our Home is incredibly rare;
As we know of no other place
In the vast universe so far,
That supports life and all of its grace.



14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. With less than 2 hours to spare...

      Delete
  2. I love this, it brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I wasn't sure if this would work. It sure was a challenge, and I gave it a try.

      Delete
  3. My girl's a real tree hugger. Thanks for writing this pretty little piece that I can share with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote this with *my* daughter in mind (she's 8yo)! What a nice compliment it is that you'd share this with your daughter. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I like your poem! I'm enjoying reading what others have done with the prompt (especially since I came up empty :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a hard one! I submitted at the last minute. All I could think of was sci-fi, and that's not my genre either. I got this idea when driving home, seeing all the beauty nature is showing us this spring. Thank you, Janna!

      Delete
  5. This is lovely. I like how you referred to the Earth's brain is on auto pilot. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mel. It was as non-sci-fi as I could be, LOL.

      Delete
  6. I agree with Mel (above). "Lovely" is the word that comes to mind. A nice way of reminding us what is enduring and important in this techno-mad world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gal. I guess I've had Earth Day themes on my mind. Having two younger kids in school do that to you. =)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for linking up to Trifecta this week. If you haven't already done it, you might be interested in clicking on the "Meet Your Fellow Trifectans" tab on our site and introducing yourself there. Hope to see you back on Monday for the new prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will get to that hopefully soon. Thanks!

      Delete