Friday, April 27, 2012

Year-Round Beauties

It's hard to believe that this white phalenopsis orchid, my Miss Alabaster, is as old as my son.  Five years they've been with us, blooming year-round.


Miss Alabaster acquired a companion, Miss Fuchsia, about two years later; she blooms bright pinkish-purple flowers.  Over the years, I've learned these ladies' likes and dislikes.  They like the humidity and light in my bathroom.  They do not like the openness of our living/kitchen area downstairs.  They don't like to be watered too often, but they do yearn to be taken care of and loved.
 

Miss Fuchsia blooms bigger and fewer flowers (3 to 5 at a time), while Miss Alabaster creates numerous, cascading blossoms (5 to 7 at a time).   They each do their own thing, they are independent women with a mind of their own.  Unbeknownst to them, they keep a similar flowering rhythm, keeping their cycle of life in synch.


Miss Fuchsia has a keiki (Hawaiian for 'child' or 'baby').  It stems from a bud of the currently flowering stem, and prolongs the flowering phase of that particular stem.  These orchids will produce two or three keikis from each stem. When the flowers wilt, the oldest leaf will yellow and dry.  Then a new leaf will grow, followed by a new stem.  These phalenopsis have been repotted once. 


While they do not offer significant gift for the olfactory sense, they more than make up for it for the visual sense.  I'm in awe of their beauty all year round.  My heart still skips a beat whenever I discover a new keiki or a new stem, or anticipate how many flowers are in line for full bloom. 





12 comments:

  1. Great orchids! Is it vandas?
    Have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these are called phalenopsis orchids. Thank you for stopping by, and have a great evening, too!

      Delete
  2. love these orchids. Sandra. I bought and planted many of them when I was in the Philippines.

    You should use that camera of yours more often - you take good photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, these picture are taken with my smartphone, altered with Instagram! The camera component on my cell phone is actually quite good (8 megapixels), so I get lazy about using a real camera. One day, one of these days, I will. Thank you, Imelda!

      Delete
  3. I never saw too many orchids until I got to NZ and I am amazed by everything about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They are simply beautiful, and stay in bloom for such a long time! Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. wow, what are you doing, that it´s always blooming :)
    thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I changed their location from an open space, lower light downstairs to my bright, high-humidity bathroom upstairs. That's all it took! Now they are pretty much always in bloom year round. Amazing what they do once they like where they live! Thanks, Tina!

      Delete
  5. These are gorgeous! I almost bought one this weekend as they were on sale, but I'm not good very good with houseplants. I'm glad you found a spot for these to thrive and bloom year-round for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! When these orchids were downstairs, I spent months looking at only green leaves. Once I took them upstairs, they haven't stopped blooming. It's amazing how a change of locale really makes a huge difference! I think they are very low maintenance, so you might want to give them a try!

      Delete