Friday, May 4, 2012

Proximity

Lower down
 and see me
eye to eye
face to face

Beneath my
freckles and pigtails
you will 
find my
spunk
humor
spirit
wisdom
heart


Take a step
back and 
you might 
miss my
dreams
 sorrows
longings
interests
fears


Retreat further
and you won't
even notice
if I 
shrink
wither
dwindle
languish
fade


From a distance
I am a tiny speck
in this infinite world
where I long to be
noticed
heard
seen
acknowledged
recognized


I'm only little
and all I want
is to be close
so that I feel 
safe
protected
known
understood
loved

Come back
and see me
eye to eye
face to face. 




(Note: I just saw that I tied for third place for last week's Weekend Flowers at Tina's PicStory photo linkup.  I want to send a special THANK YOU to Imelda at My Word Wall for introducing me to this photo linkup.  She has some absolutely gorgeous photos of flowers and amazing fiction writing there!)



8 comments:

  1. I just *love* your poem! And I love the way you visually narrate it with the petunia (right? or pansy? I can never remember!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually Googled it to make sure, but it's a pansy. It must have seeded from a potted planter from last year! I actually did this backwards; these pics were taken for a flower photo linkup, but I always like to write something for them. Thank you so much, Rachel!

      Delete
  2. congrats to last weeks flowers! and i love how you show us your tiny flower this week! wonderful serie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina! I was so surprised to see pic orchid pics tie for third place! And today, the little sister bud under this pansy bloomed. Two pansies thriving in an unlikely place!

      Delete
  3. That is a lovely poem, set beautifully by your photos. I just admire the bravery and guts of this little pansy - to grow in a not so ideal situation like she has. :-)

    Thank you for the shoutout. :-) I am glad you are having fun with these linkups. Try the Friday floral foto too. :-)

    ~Imelda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, amazing how they grow in such places! The poem came from the good practice of getting to eye level with a child when speaking to them. It always works better than from afar or above. And the pansy looks better that way, too! Thanks, Imelda!

      Delete
  4. Johnny-jump-ups are such cute little darlings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that these pansies are also called Johnny-jump-ups! I had to Google that, so thank you for teaching me a new floral term, Arija!

      Delete