Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Blue

www.trifectawritingchallenge.com








This week, the prompt is:

BLUE (adjective)


1  : of the color blue
2  a : bluish <the blue haze of tobacco smoke>
    b : discolored by or as if by bruising <blue with cold>  
    c : bluish gray <a blue cat>
3  a : low in spirits : melancholy
    b : marked by low spirits : depressing <a blue funk> <things looked blue>


Please remember:
  • Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
  • You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
  • The word itself needs to be included in your response.
  • You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above. 
  • Your post must include a link back to Trifecta.
  • Please submit your post's permalink, not the main page of your blog. For example: http://www.trifectawritingchallenge.com/2012/03/trifextra-week-eight.html not http://www.trifectawritingchallenge.com/.
  • You may only submit one post per blog per challenge.



Here is my entry in 33 words:



Blue

Emerald leaves
Orange flames
Azure waters
Platinum rings
Fire me red.

Purple extravagance
Obsidian night
Sanguine blood
White death
Cower me yellow.

Gray rain
Brown wasteland
Charcoal remains
Raven caws
Render me blue.



24 comments:

  1. Oh, Sandra, this is gorgeous. I'm practically speechless. This might just be one of the best things I've read at Trifecta ever. It feels like a baring of soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, that is a huge compliment coming from you! Thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked this.

      Delete
  2. read it a few times...liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pastor Dave. I'm really glad that you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. This is a heart-rending but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruby, for reading and your comment!

      Delete
  4. Wow, this was amazing! The vividness of the colors and all the description you packed into 33 words is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to enjoy the 33-word challenge, even if we can have up to 333 words. Thank you for the compliment, Janna!

      Delete
  5. The colors in each line set this picture for me. My mind could imagine. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you can see what I was trying to do with all the colors in this piece. Thanks so much, Gina!

      Delete
  6. How colorful and vivid, Sandra. :-) I see the colors bursting with the words and emotions. Lovely.

    ~Imelda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Imelda, for your kind words! As you can see, I kind of had fun with colors.

      Delete
  7. oooooh! LOVE all those amazing colors in there! and that poignant, brilliant turn of phrase at the end: "render me blue." wonderful!

    de
    whimsygizmo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, De! That last line is what actually started this whole piece for me. I worked backwards and wrote the rest after. =)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, hopefuljo! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  9. Okay, so it's not exactly the same thing as mine, but I love that you (also) used the conventional meaning of color. A fun read ... even though it was about a sad person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Michele! I knew I wanted to get colors in there, and ended up with a lot of them. =)

      Delete
  10. Thanks so much for linking up with Trifecta this week. I really enjoyed this poem from you. I love the way you've linked each color with the thing it describes--such unique pairings. Also, the way you've structured your stanzas is really clever and effective in creating a nice rhythm. Great job with the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trifecta! This was definitely a fun one for me. This looks like nothing I started out with, and working backwards has its perks, too.

      Delete
  11. Wow what an awesome way to bring emotion to the basic colors! Great response...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie! It was interesting trying to get everything to fit just right, emotion-wise. =)

      Delete
  12. Oh yes, I love this...!
    May you place among the top three.
    Caw! Caw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda, as I caw back to you! I knew you'd catch that word!! =)

      Delete