Friday, July 13, 2012

Vegetable Flowers

We often overlook the beauty of flowers from vegetables, since our object is usually the fruit that they bear or the leaves they produce.  Since starting vegetable gardening in my new garden box this year, I have have the privilege to see and capture the flowers that precede the vegetables or appear after the herbs are mature.  They are every bit as amazing and beautiful as garden or indoor flowers--although short-lived--as they are purposeful.



Decidedly yellow and ground-facing, these tomato flowers won't bear fruit for many more weeks.  Even with the heat wave this summer, my tomato plants are still taking their sweet time to grow.  I cannot wait to see some tiny red fruit soon!




I'm growing red bell peppers for the first time.  These little white beauties mask the fruit that they produce--you can almost see the pepper behind the center of the flowers!  There are so many on my pepper plant; I wonder how many will really turn into red bell peppers!




The white flowers dry up and grow a tiny pepper behind them.  So far, I have two good sized peppers even while the plant is still flowering, but they are still green.  




I never knew how pretty string bean flowers are.  Their delicate white petals wrap around one another, almost like the shape of a hand-rolled sushi!  These flowers are not very visible unless you uncover them by lifting up the leaves.




Amazingly, a tiny string bean begins to grow from the center of the flower into long, supple, and hearty beans.  The large, almost heart-shaped leaves provide great shade and protection for the beans.




Basil plant stems flower when foliage production stops on that particular stem.  Their white flowers are tiny, and this is the first time I've seen them really up close.  As small as they are, bees really seem to love the nectar in them!




Mint flowers are even smaller!  An entire cluster looks just like a prickly pine cone.  These closeup photos--not my naked eyes--have really 'opened' my eyes to seeing these tiny flowers on the herbs we use so freely all the time.




My strawberry plant has yet to flower, so unfortunately I could not include them in this post.  But it has been quite wondrous to observe these flowers the past few weeks, and it will be very exciting for me to harvest and eat the fruits that they bear.  I know I keep saying this, but there's something to be said about eating food that came from your own backyard, grown and nourished by your own hands. 




Thank you for taking a look at my tiny vegetable flowers!  What are some other pretty vegetable flowers that you like?  I'm taking suggestions for next year's vegetable gardening choices!


12 comments:

  1. thanks for joining us with your beautiful flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting the link, Tina, and for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. These are quite beautiful and so often overlooked. Love the pepper one. I've noticed little buds on my pepper plant so maybe it'll flower soon. Kinda excited.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you planting peppers for the first time, too? They are beautiful! My basil plants are coming to an end, as they have almost all flowered. But I got to make pesto twice with them! Thanks, Susi!

      Delete
  3. Very pretty! I love home made pesto. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gunilla! I just learned a trick about freezing extra homemade pesto in ice cube trays. I hope you have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  4. Sandra, the pictures are so pretty. I always plant borage, a plant that can be eaten, has stunning edible flowers, attract tons of bees and it is great to compost. It tends to spread but it is easily pulled every year.

    I am so happy you love gardening, it is so good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did a quick search on borage--I've never heard of it before. The flowers are beautiful. Now I have to keep an eye out for this plant, and plan on it next year.

      I SO do love gardening. It keeps me busy, and I just love learning about how to grow different things, take pictures, and harvest them and eat them! Thanks for stopping by, Laura!

      Delete
  5. I love these flowers. :-) I envy you your peppers. I planted some but too late found out that they were not the right kind. I thought we had the green bell peppers, but the fruit showed me the thin long ones. what do I do with them now? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you find out what kind they are so you can use them? Are they hot peppers? I'm sure you can find something to cook them in! I hope your plants survived the heat... Thanks, Imelda!

      Delete
  6. I love vegetable flowers. I love that they aren't just ornamental and that they have a purpose. Your garden is looking great. I'll just live vicariously through you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, I never knew vegetable flowers were so pretty! You don't know these things until you grow them, I guess! I can't wait for tomatoes. I don't know if anything's wrong, but I STILL don't see any. Still only flowers, and I'm running out of patience. Thanks for stopping by over this way, Michelle!

      Delete