Sunday, July 8, 2012

The World Will End in Three Days

www.trifectawritingchallenge.com








For the weekend challenge, we're playing the ambiguity card again and leaving interpretation up to you.  Give us 33-333 words with this as your inspiration:

The world will end in three days.


The World Will End in Three Days


Day 3

They sing 'Happy Birthday' to him.  He blows out the sparkly candles, all three of them.  His awkward expression bares a mixture of emotions: proud yet visibly out of sorts at the same time.  He's happy because today he's a Big Boy.  He's sad because he fell asleep last night.  And she didn't forget to come.


Day 2

They remind him again that she is coming to make sure that he turns from a toddler into a Big Boy.  Tonight, he tells himself, I am going to stay awake.  He is going to be on guard all night, because he isn't even sure if he wants to be a Big Boy at all.  


Day 1

They told him about her for the first time last night.  They reassure him that she is kind and will bring him a small present while he sleeps.  How can he believe that she is nice?  He doesn't really even want her fancy candles anyway.


Day 0

He doesn't get a bedtime storybook tonight.  They tell him a story about the Binky Fairy instead.  She's coming the night before he turns three--in two nights--they said.  He secretly hopes that she will forget his birthday, or get lost on her way.  Because if she doesn't, he fears that the world will end in three days.



14 comments:

  1. Wow! Creative take on this prompt! I like where you went with it! Poor little guy, getting all stressed out... Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Libby! I tried to think about what circumstances would a young child think is the end of the world, and this is what I came up with.

      Delete
  2. I have a three year old and I can picture him with these emotions. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! My kiddos are beyond 3, so I had to think hard and back to that age for this!

      Delete
  3. I loved where you took the prompt. And my kiddo recently gave up the bink to the fairy. I bet he went through those same emotions. Thanks for playing along with us. Don't forget to come on back tomorrow for the new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trifecta! I'm really glad that this came across as believable, since it is entirely fictional. I think learned about the Binky Fairy from an online parenting site. Neither one of my kiddos took to the binky, and that has both its pros and cons...

      Delete
  4. I like how you wrote it from present time to back three days to fill in the missing details. Sorry he learned at three that growing up isn't as great as it sounds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janna! I thought I'd challenge myself with writing a story backwards, given the 'days' prompt. Fortunately, this is not a 'life vignette' and the little boy is not my son, although he surely had lots of other 'growing pains'!

      Delete
  5. Ha! This is so clever! My daughter never used a binky, but I've heard tell weaning them of it is a daunting task. I love the fairy idea. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda! Neither of my kiddos liked pacifiers, so luckily, I didn't have that daunting task. Speaking of Fairies, I just recently learned about the Halloween Fairy, who comes and takes away all but a few chosen pieces of candy. I can tell you that we don't ever invite the Halloween Fairy to our house, that's for sure!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I know that Fairy well! My daughter had to leave ALL her binkies for the Fairy, and awoke to some new, "big girl" things...
    She friggin' loved those binkies...
    Lovely take on the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! And look at her now--so grown up and beautiful. She probably wouldn't even take a second look at one now. The Fairy must have brought her some awesome 'big girl' presents! =)

      Delete
  7. LOVE the backward telling of this. Wonderful! We called it the "patsy," but oh, YES. The end of the world? You would have thought so, by the way my poor tiny girl hollered for two nights.

    Excellent, fun piece! :)

    de jackson
    whimsygizmo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, De! Your poor little girl, indeed. But I hope after those two nights it was smooth sailing! Congratulations on your win--I really enjoyed your poem and read it several times.

      Delete