Saturday, August 11, 2012

Weekend Getaway

www.trifectawritingchallenge.com








Weekend Trifextra Challenge:

This weekend we're borrowing from the musical world.  Noted blues musician, Lead Belly, was quoted in Three Uses of the Knife by David Mamet as saying:
You take a knife, you use it to cut the bread, so you'll have strength to work; you use it to shave, so you'll look nice for your lover; on discovering her with another, you use it to cut out her lying heart.
He uses one object, a knife, to flesh out a character and to tell a story in a basic three-part dramatic structure.  We want the same from you.  Give us 33 words (exactly) that tell us three different uses for one object.  But don't just tell us that a can opener can be used to 1) open cans, 2) open beer bottles and 3) break a window in case of a fire.  Tell us a story, like Lead Belly did, if you can.  It won't be easy, but you guys are far beyond needing easy prompts.



Weekend Getaway


Friday flaunts red lipstick, 
Hair pulled back.  
We strut Rodeo Drive.

Saturday bursts surf, 
Seashells, and sand.   
We worship the sun in delight.

Sunday parts sweet sorrow.   
Behind Love’s cloak, 
I whisper--goodbye.




24 comments:

  1. Love the shades! This was great, each day described wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tara! These ARE my bestest shades!

      Delete
  2. Through the eyes of the shades, perfect.
    dk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! As I get older, I'm finding that I can't live without my shades!

      Delete
  3. I love your take on this prompt -- one weekend, three days, three different experiences. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, Annette! =)

      Delete
  4. Nice take on the prompt and great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruby. It was challenging to 'tell a story'!

      Delete
  6. Great response! I always hate it when the weekend is over...and I'm not a fan of goodbye, either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Childhood memory: my grandmother never wears sunglasses, but she always wore them to the airport to send my mom off--and then I learned why. Thanks for your comment, Janna!

      Delete
  7. nice details and great response to the prompt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and and your nice comment, uneven steven! =)

      Delete
  8. This was great. I just read another one in the trifecta completely different. Love the shades... I don't even leave the house without mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writers that participate here are amazing. I have so much to learn from this talented group. Thanks so much for reading, Susi. Nowadays, I'm blinded without my shades!

      Delete
  9. Oh yes - I especially liked the way that in each case, the shades could either enhance or conceal an emotion. With the red lipstick, they really enhance the party joy, but they clearly conceal tears with the goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such insightful observation, Jessie. Thank you so much! I love my all-purpose shades. =)

      Delete
  10. I loved the micro-vignette theme in this piece, like a glimpse through a window of each day. Thanks for playing along with us this week. Don't forget to come on back tomorrow for the new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trifecta! I really love reading everyone else' pieces!!

      Delete
  11. Excellent response - shame the weekend only lasts the weekend...

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anna! Do we all live from weekend to weekend? =)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Rosalind! Have a great week!

      Delete