Thursday, September 6, 2012

Begrudgingly


Ketchup With Us -- Writing Prompts from Mel (@According to Mags) and Michele (@Old Dog New Tits) on the 1st and 15th of each month (links open for 7 days)!




  

'KETCHUP WITH US' PROMPT#1

Tell us in 57 words or less the best advice you have ever received from someone older than you or that you admire.


Here's my take in 57 words:


Begrudgingly


My elders have always wisely informed me, “When you become a parent, there’s nothing you wouldn’t do for your children.”  


So, naturally, when my children beg to eat what little watermelon is left in my bowl, I let’em have it.  
















On which night you’ll find the kitchen light on at 11 PM.   


Mine.  Mine.  Mine.  Mine.  Mine.



10 comments:

  1. Great response to the prompt! There is no greater sacrifice. Unless your bowl had been filled with cheese. Or chocolate. Or Peanut Butter Captain Crunch.

    Damn, I have to go. I'm starving!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's put it this way: my watermelon *is* your cheese (or chocolate, or Peanut Butter Captain Crunch). Sacrifice? INDEED. :)

      Thanks for hosting the linkup! Can't wait for the next one!

      Delete
  2. Giving up the last of your watermelon to your children? You are a saint! I love the "mine, mine, mine"
    I'm visiting from the Ketchup writing prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished watching, er, hearing Finding Nemo in the car *and* visiting your blog, so the last five words came pretty natural to me. It was so hard letting those few pieces of watermelon go...

      Delete
  3. I love this. It is so true. My kids eat all of my food all of the time I understand the watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had to share my food until children came. Sigh... Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I hear you on this. I just recently started buying these yummy skinny cow chocolate wafer bars... and I wait unti the kids are in bed before having one, in peace and quiet with a cup of rooibus tea!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I LOVE rooibos tea! Especially in wintertime. Yes, there are somethings I just don't want to share, so the wait until kiddos go to bed is worth it if I can eat in peace! Thanks, Susi!

      Delete
  5. Oh so true - you will give your kids your last bite, and share your fancier chocolates with them too. That's why, I find myself eating some special treats at 11 pm too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are lucky I share. I hope they pay it forward when they have their own kids. Maybe being a parent is just that--sharing even when one doesn't want to. Thanks, Imelda! (I hope you can write for the next prompt--I hope to be able to do it, too!)

      Delete