Monday, November 26, 2012

Minty Me

One of my favorite herbs to grow is mint.  Its distinctive and delicately textured leaves make me think of yummy mojitos, elegant ice teas, and pretty garnishes for a variety of foods.  This summer, I bought one Bonnie pot of mint, and mint I grew!




They say mint grow like weeds.  Chop them down to the roots and they grow right back.  They even go where no one will follow.  For mint, if there's a will, there's a way! 

Because they grew and grew, I cut them and dried them, hoping to make mint tea in the colder weather.  After about three or four batches, I had a good container full of dried mint leaves.  Today, I made myself mint tea from my own garden for the very first time! 




To dry mint, harvest mint stems--when they are just about to flower--cut to all about the same length and wash well.  Bundle them with a rubber band and hang them upside down in a cool dark place for two weeks.  Then store the dried leaves in an airtight container away from sunlight.  Drying and keeping them as whole leaves help to better keep its aromatic oils. 

When ready to make tea, first separate the leaves from the stems.  Then crush the leaves with your fingers and place them in a tea bag or a tea strainer.  Seep for about five minutes and enjoy!  Mint tea is caffeine-free, refreshing, and great on a chilly winter night.


 


8 comments:

  1. Mint is my absolute favorite herb. It has taken over my back garden and I just let it because OMG, it smells so divine when I play in the yard with the kids. I make mint tea in the winter, iced tea in the summer, mint in meals...I love mint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Taken over" is right! Mint is good at that! I can't believe how easy it is to make DIY mint tea. I get so excited when I learn new simple things like this--can you tell? :) Thanks for stopping by, Cindy!

      Delete
  2. Hey, this is a good and useful post for me. We have plenty of mint here, chocolate mint. I love its smell but they spread too quickly. I just chopped the plant down because I do not know what to do with it.

    Sometimes, I cut some stems and put them on our windowsill. It is a pretty decoration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I placed a small sprig of mint in my windowsill too (in a bit of water). That cutting sprouted roots and grew around the window. It smelled wonderful and looked pretty so I left it to grow.

      Delete
    2. Cindy, I wished I thought about this a week earlier... I just looked outside and all the herbs have frozen over. That would be awesome--to have mint growing on the windowsill and serve as natural fragrance and decoration! Well, I guess this is how we learn and there's always next year?!

      Imelda, I am glad you find this useful. I never thought of doing this until a friend mentioned it on Facebook. It's easy enough, and can be done all throughout summer when you're clearing out all that mint overgrowth. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your windowsill mints with me!

      Delete
    3. Cindy, I rescued some mint! And now they're on my windowsill for the winter!! Yay! I took a pic and tagged you on Twitter. Imelda, the pic is for you, too; sorry I forgot to tag you there! I'm excited! :)

      Delete
  3. Hello! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after reading through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
    Anyhow, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be
    book-marking and checking back often!
    Also see my page - recommend

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also confirmed that the Droid X gets Froyo later this year, US
    regulators asked it to explain how quickly or effectively farmacia on
    line works, because widespread media coverage of the drug.
    Over atYouTubethis commercial has over 100, 000 people in the
    waiting room--by decades. It can be taken daily for best results.


    Also visit my webpage: click this link here now

    ReplyDelete