Sunday, November 4, 2012

November





















Branches bare,
Air chills.
Days shorten,
Nature stills.

Hot cider,
Warm stews;
Palates crave
Comfort foods.

Pumpkin spice
Pine scents,
Crimson shades,
Holiday accents.

Night falls;
Pitch black.
Time changes,
Fall back.


------
I always have such polarized feelings about the end of daylight saving time.  While it unfortunately means that darkness approaches earlier in the afternoons, it also announces the arrival of the holiday season--the only thing that makes winter tolerable for me.  We will soon be gathering together for family feasts, busying over holiday decor and greeting cards, as well as fussing over gift and tree shopping.  And just like that, it's time to get into the holidays frame of mind.




6 comments:

  1. The season is well-captured in your poem. Yay! Glad you're into creative writing again. :-)

    ~Imelda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Imelda! Yes, I needed a nudge back into creative writing! And I'm really enjoying this! :)

      Delete
  2. Great way to portray the upcoming holiday season :) My favorite time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holidays can be polar opposites for me; it can mean family and food, but can also equate to stressful holiday shopping, card-writing, kiddos music concerts, baking treats, and tree purchase and decoration time. I can have a different outlook on any given day. :) Thanks, Cassie!

      Delete
  3. Love this... and pumpkin spice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susi! I thought of YOU when I wrote "pumpkin spice!" Truly, really! Fall is almost over... so, Happy Almost-Holiday season to you!

      Delete