Sunday, November 25, 2012

Reacquainted


Like reuniting with old friends--
hearts dance with revelry.
Like hearing a favorite childhood song--
emotions drown words.
Like flipping through an old photo album--
breaths draw in deeply.
Like chatting about memories past--
words spill like chirps of songbirds.

* * *

Unraveling and winding a skein of yarn; 
Casting on stitches on a circular needle;
Knitting and purling in pattern and repetition;
I reacquainted with this hobby so very special.

* * * 

It's in the feel of the fiber and gauge of the yarn;
It's in the process of the growing pieces I see.
It's in the neat rows and rows of perfect stitches,
That does it for someone with OCD like me.



-----
It's been almost two years since I've knitted something.  Before I stopped cold turkey, I knitted continuously for a decade.  It was a hobby bordering on obsession.   At one point the yarn got expensive, and I picked up a free hobby--writing.  To me, it's a zero-sum world, so since I'm an all-or-nothing kind of person, I started writing.  But I have a stash of leftover yarn in my closet, and every time I see them--or the wooden needles I have--my heart skips a beat.  This weekend, I picked up a skein of yarn that I've had for over a decade and decided to make something with it.  It was fascinating how much I had forgotten in just two years, yet how much I remembered just by touching the needles and yarn again.

What I need to do now is find some sort of balance and be able to love both knitting and writing, which, in fact, is kind of a ridiculous thought since I now have a new option for work--as in making some real money.  But just look at those rows and rows of neat, perfect stitching!  How can any-non-OCD one's heart not flutter from seeing the beauty of that continuous flawlessness?!  (I know...  I have issues.)

What a joy it is to touch the smooth wooden needles, to run the woolen fibers through my fingers, and weave them into a piece of fabric for wear or use once again!

Looks like the damn just broke.  





4 comments:

  1. Another great poem! I especially love the first stanza, which by itself could probably be applied to a number of things. I have never attempted knitting or crocheting, although they are both on my to-do list..I'm glad you enjoyed reconnecting with your old hobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rachael! These crafts are always worth a try. I tried crocheting, but still prefer knitting. Much like I tried sewing and it didn't go very well.

      It was revealing how soothing knitting is for me when I picked it up again. It's just one of those things where I have to steal little moments of time to do it, and there never seems to be enough time to do all the things I want to do. With the holidays coming up, there are even more items on the to-do list to accomplish... Thank you, Rachael. It was wonderful reconnecting with this hobby!

      Delete
  2. Knitting is a good way to pass time. Good thing about it is you can leave it for days and pick up where you left off. Knit while you think about what to write. :-)

    I do crochet but have not picked up my hooks for the longest time. Maybe, during the Christmas holidays, I will have a chance to continue my project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Imelda! Maybe I'm not good at multitasking or something--much like I am not able to read more than one book at a time--doing two projects is sort of difficult for me. I just have a drive to finish one thing first. I will try that--knit and think about what to write. That knitting project has been sitting there for days now. Oh, there's just not enough time in the day! Surely I'll finish this little knitting project before the year is over?! I would like to try crochet, too!

      Delete