Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Music Box




















"What's that, Mama?"
"It's a music box, son."
"What does it do?"
"Come and listen, hon.

Pinch this little arm
And gently turn.
See, it makes music
As you slowly churn.

These tiny pins pluck
The teeth on the wheel.
Here, you try it--
Give it a feel."

His tiny fingers
Grasp the lever,
He turns and hears
The purest sounds ever.

"Listen, Mama!
What song is it?
It sounds so pretty,
Sing it a little bit!"

In this intimate moment,
She breathes in deeply.
The boy, the music,
She etches in memory.

"I see trees of green,
Red roses, too.
I see them bloom,
For me and you..."

And she thinks to herself:
What a wonderful world.


-----

I'm linking this post with Memories Captured at Alison Lee's Writing, Wishing November Linkup!  Click on the Memories Captured button below to join us! 

(BTW, #NaBloPoMo is KILLING ME!  A post a day has been very hard, but worth it.  I'm losing sleep, losing time to read blogs, and stressing out.  But all in a good way, I supposed?) 






14 comments:

  1. What a great poem, Sandra!
    And gosh, you're a brave one, doing NaBloPoMo :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison! As for NaBloPoMo? 18 more days feels like 18 more months at this point! Ack! Thanks for hosting the linkup!

      Delete
  2. Lovely poem and congrats on doing NaBloPoMo! That is such a big commitment! Go you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Galit! This big commitment is getting harder by the day... Thanks for hosting the linkup!

      Delete
  3. I love this poem! It brings back my own memories of discovering the wonder of those little music boxes.

    Congratulations on keeping up with NaBloPOMo--I love reading daily posts from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked music boxes when I was little, too, but I LOVED these open ones where you can actually see what's going on and making the sounds. Your words mean so much to me, Rachel. They keep me going when the going gets tough. It's getting really hard--I'll be honest. Thank you so much for reading my silly poems/posts. :)

      Delete
  4. This is so beautiful. I love that sing and it always reminds me when middle was little and her prek class performed it. Ahhh... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This song always melts my heart. I LOVE the melody and lyrics--so beautiful! Thanks so much for coming by and reading and leaving me such kind words, Susi!

      Delete
  5. Sweet and beautiful, Sandra! Yey! You are back to poetry again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like poetry, though I think mine are silly and lighthearted most of the time. I need a limit for these daily posts, as I cannot possibly write like I rant over at Letters. Thanks so much for reading, Imelda! :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and reading, Maureen!

      Delete
  7. I love this! Such a beautiful memory captured. Those old music boxes were the best! And that song, Love that song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cassie! I love that song, too! And it as a tune in a music box and a child that first discovered the sound that came out of it? Magical!

      Delete