Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Viva Violin



Curved pinkie.
Bent thumb.
Hum tune.
Keep rhythm.
 
Relax shoulders.
Straight bow.
Extend arm.
Still elbow.
 
Up bow.
Down bow
Lift bow.
Crawl bow.

Staccato.
Vibrato.
Crescendo.
Diminuendo.

Listen.
Sing.
Hear.
Ring.


-----
This is my short little ode to a violin written in the time constraint of #NaBloPoMo.  Being the violin mom of two children, I have utterly and completely fallen in love with this beautiful instrument as an adult.  The second time around with a child learning to play this instrument has been a much easier experience for me, since I now know a thing or two about it.  Hearing the sound of a vibrating violin string ringing within itself and out into the air is one of the most beautiful auditory sensations to me.  And when these sound are produced by little fingers and hands of your own children, they make your heart dance a little.  And you know the collective effort to have made that happen is a nothing short of a miracle. 






8 comments:

  1. I love all the poetry you have been posting lately, Sandra!
    I never learned to play an instrument growing up, it's on my to-do list though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rachel, for reading and all your encouragement. My thought process is poetry = shorter = less time-consuming = doable. Although if you check my posting stamp time, they're all just before midnight. Sigh.

      Playing an instrument is like having the ability to speak a foreign language. It is both daunting and rewarding. I wish I had more time to practice. And I totally think you to learn to play something!!

      Delete
  2. Middle daughter just started learning the violin. She loves it. I can't wait for her to bring home the violin so I can hear her play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it she is learning at school? I can't wait for you to hear her play, too! It's such a beautiful instrument. I am always amazed at professional players--their grace, mastery, and love for the violin. Thank you for reading, Susi!

      Delete
  3. Finally, you got to photograph an write about your violin lessons, well, the kids' rather. :-) Your poem is so exact. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Imelda, I actually cheated on the picture. It's a reused one from Letters, because it was late and I didn't have good light to snap another one. But that is still on my to-do list, since I want to take pics similar to yours of the violin--they are so fabulous! I'm glad you can relate to my poem. Our teacher is always telling DD to listen to the notes, sing the notes, and most of all, hear the rings! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. I don't blame you one bit, as you have 2 very talented children who obviously take this instrument very seriously. I love your little poems. I feel like I know you so well thru all of your writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee. Little poems are all I can muster on a daily basis. No brains or time for my regular word diarrhea. :) This is a very special instrument to me, obvs because of my kids, but I also just love the sound of it. Thank you for reading and all your sweet comments, Cassie!

      Delete