Friday, December 7, 2012

Spectacularly Clean



www.trifectawritingchallenge.com


This weekend we are giving you three variations on a prompt.  We need you to give us 33 words back, and 2 of those words must be either "cheap flights," "sandwiched in" or "spectacularly clean."  This weekend, your piece must also be non-fiction (poetry or prose).

This week's challenge is community-judged.
  • For the 12 hours following the close of the challenge, voting will be enabled on links.  
  • In order to vote, return to this post where stars will appear next to each link.  To vote, simply click the star that corresponds with your favorite post.
  • You can vote for your top three favorite posts.
  • Voting is open to everyone. Encourage your friends to vote for you, if you wish, but please don't tell them to vote on a number.  The numbering of the posts changes regularly, as authors have the ability to delete their own links at any time.
  • You have 12 hours to vote.  It's not much time, so be diligent! We'll send out reminders on Twitter and Facebook.


Here goes:



My love-hate relationship for being spectacularly clean:

I adore the exuberance of all-things pristine,

But detest the possibility of mucking the serene.

So I settle for the shades of gray somewhere in between. 


-----
And thus is my life's battle between having a moderate case of OCD and an equally substantial case of laziness.  "Spectacularly clean" in our house only lasts minutes after decluttering/mopping/dusting/vacuuming/wiping/scrubbing/sighing for hours.  That awesome feeling of spotlessness only lasts for moments few and far between.  And once the house gets re-cluttered/messy/dirty beyond a certain point, there's really no reason to rescue it until the next scheduled full-on cleaning.  Ya know what I mean?  

Oh, and voting begins Sunday at 7 PM EST for 12 hours.



27 comments:

  1. This has me giggling. :) Love the rhyme and the middle two lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, jasmine! I should try giggling instead of sighing while I clean...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, undercoverl!

      Delete
  3. I love the gray too--and this piece (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean! Same here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! It's a vicious cycle. I'm glad you can relate, Susi!

      Delete
  5. Sandra, I think you just wrote about me...seriously!

    Sometimes I'll send all the boys in the house out just so I can clean. When I'm done, I take a deep breath and admire my clean floors and organized spaces. Within minutes of them getting home, there is sand on the floor, tennis shoes flung in all directions and a whole bunch of junk cluttering up our island counter top. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That deep breath should really last more than a few moments, no? We do all that work *only* so we can do it all again, over and over. Sigh, is right! Thanks for stopping by Janna!

      Delete
  6. Oh, god, I'm with you 100%. I wouldn't call myself a neat freak, but I draw the line at leaving the tupperware and kids' dishes on the kitchen floor 24-7. If only they wouldn't keep sticking their stinky feet in them, I wouldn't mind so much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could embed pictures. My kids took all the Tupperware outside today.

      Delete
    2. Tupperware as toys are great! We do that, too! But stinky feet in them? Not so much. :) Thanks, Christine!

      Delete
  7. Terrific rhyme. Apparently Trifecta hit a nerve this week with the 'spectacularly clean' prompt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kymm! When I saw that prompt, my mind immediately thought about how much I both love and hate it at the same time. Having children does not help one bit. :)

      Delete
  8. Hate to clean! Shades of Grey: OCD meets cleanliness. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly! I guess the shades of gray just have to be enough for me. :)

      Delete
  9. I've surrendered to the fact that my house will never be completely clean. It's definitely 'Lived in."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tara, "lived in" is good. As much as I like how a model home looks, it's just not what I call "cozy." I'd much rather a home than a sterile environment.

      Delete
  10. We too have a VERY "lived in" home. I like it that way but prefer it a bit more tidy than it generally is. With just two of us now, I'd have thought it would be different but determined we are cluttery people. I loved this. You have struck a common thread for most of us. And the words said it in such a whimsical way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gina! I've determined I am fickle--love it clean, but hate to clean, since it's really a lost cause. We're probably just the same--but it's quite easy to blame it on the kiddos, isn't it? LOL.

      Delete
  11. Same here, Sandra! My two will take a freshly cleaned living room as a sign to bring every single last toy out from their bedroom. I guess they want to be sure the toys still exist. But if I toss the toys away, and just barely straighten up the living room, leaving a few of the current must-haves out, they don't even care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids, too, Rachael! A clean room just *invites* a ton of toys to be brought out, but a "shades of gray" room just pretty much stays as is. Go figure. Thanks for reading and sharing!

      Delete
  12. Rejoice! At least you have some few minutes of spectacularly clean. :-) I wonder how you will ever judge my house when you get to see it, ha? :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, on a spectacularly clean floor, DS drops lots of crumbs from his sandwich. Me: how do you eat to drop all these crumbs? DS: I'm talented--very talented, that is. Me: ...

      Thanks for stopping by, Imelda! :)

      Delete