Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Crazy for Tulips














Tulips, three lips, four lips, five,
Under the sun you happily thrive.
When it's cold or rainy out,
You close your lips for a nice hideout.
How logical and reasonable for this act,
But til I grew my own tulips, I knew not of this fact.



-----
I'm a little late posting this, as my tulips are on the decline.  Some flowers have fallen, and I'm sure many more will follow after the rainstorm.  I am placing popsicle sticks to mark their spots as they wilt, as I plan to plant more bulbs this fall.  Apparently tulips are not the best perennials, as many of mine grew leaves but no stems this second spring of flowering.  How do your tulips fare year after year?


6 comments:

  1. I love tulips, don't grow them though. I have irises coming up now - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irises are beautiful, too! Perhaps I should think about growing those. My tulips are all gone since the storms in the last few days. Well, until next spring! Thanks for stopping by, Cindy!

      Delete
  2. I noticed that not all of my plants had bulbs. But I am too lazy to plant things again and again so maybe, I will let them be until they just don't want to come back anymore. Then...Yey! I can get new ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *say* I'm gonna, but we'll see... Sometimes inertia sets in. But when tulips are sparse, they're not as brilliant as when they are clustered together, so I'm still gonna try to plant more this fall. Thanks, Imelda!

      Delete
  3. I love tulips. They are always so bright and cheerful. Never tried growing them not sure it would work so well in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I don't know, either! This is all about 2 years new to me. I would imagine that they would just emerge and flower earlier in the season when you are just reaching the 50s and 60s, which might be still considered winter in my part of the world, haha! Thanks, Susi!

      Delete